Rottnest Island Golf Club
63 Years On - 63 Years Strong
Rottnest Island Golf Course
Hosted the 2023 "Longest Day" Golf Charity
INFORMATION FOR CANCER COUNCIL’S ‘THE LONGEST DAY’ ON ROTTNEST ISLAND
The Longest Day is the ultimate golf challenge designed to test the participants skill, strength and stamina. This event has been running nationally for 9 years and has raised over $2.5M this financial year. This is the first time this event has been held at the iconic Rottnest Island Golf Club and will consist of events over 2 days.
Thursday 30th March 2023 - The Longest Day - 16 participants – 72 holes
- Participants will be aiming to successfully complete 4 rounds of golf from dawn to dust. These participants have sourced their own accommodation on the island.
Friday 31st March 2023 – The Longer Day – 36 participants - 27 holes
- Participants will compete in a 27-hole stableford tournament, utilising the format of ‘The Longest Day’ and aiming to complete the ‘long’ round in under 5 hours.
Everyone has their own story with cancer. All the players and support staff are involved for a variety of reasons. Participants are required to raise funds for Cancer Council’s research, prevention and support services. Initially, the event aimed to raise $10k. We are currently over $24k with 5 days to go.
All donations are tax deductable and can be made using the link below or the QR code.
The generosity from both the Rottnest Island Community and the Golfing Community has made this event extra special. The following business have donated the items below.
- RIGC Clubhouse - Green fees and the use of some carts – approx. value $4880
- Sealink - Ferry rides for all participants/support staff and voucher – approx. value $2417
- Rottnest Island Authority - Landing Fees waived – approx. value $1060
- Rottnest Island General Store and Bakery Food/drink – approx. value $550
- Frankies on Rotto – Pizza’s and vouchers – approx. value $525
- Rottnest Island Golf Club – amazing support with getting this event off the ground – undisclosed value
- Golf Clearance Outlet – Driver, bag and hats – approx. value $1168
- Perth Golf Network – 1 year free membership and voucher books – approx. value $1100
- The Cut Golf Course - 8 rounds of golf with carts – approx. value $832
- Golf Box Booragoon – Bag, balls and vouchers – approx. value $700
- Golf Box Joondalup - Vouchers from – value $400
- Island Gypsy - 2 x Beach umbrellas – value $398
- Bunnings Warehouse – Straw hat for every participant – value $350
- Sun City Country Club - 4 rounds of golf with carts – approx. value $332
- Rottnest Island Movies and Mini Golf - Vouchers - value $325
- Cancer Council WA – shirts and hats – approx.. value $325
- Mystery raffle bottle – approx. value $300
- The Good Grocer - Vouchers – value $200
- Dome Rottnest - Vouchers – value $200
- Point Walter Golf Course 2 x 9 holes and family pass for minigolf – approx. value $124
- The Putt Lab - $100 voucher
Schedule – Thursday 30th March – 72 holes
Playing as a 2-ball and swapping partners every 18 holes. Below is the proposed schedule. Round 1 – 6:00am – 8:30am
Round 2 – 8:30am – 11:00am
Round 3 – 11:15am – 1:45pm
Round 4 – 2:45pm – 5:30pm
Food for 72 hole participants
The Rottnest General Store, The Rottnest Bakery and Frankie’s on Rotto are sponsoring this event. They will be providing us with breakfast, sandwiches/rolls, snacks, fruit, sports drinks and water and pizza at the end of the event.
The major prize for the 72 holes is finishing the event. There will be no specific prize for the scores
for the day. Speed of play is critical. There will be 5 novelty prizes for the day.
Schedule – Friday 31st March – 27 holes
Playing in groups of 4 – however breaking off into 2 x 2 balls for each 9 holes, below is the proposed schedule.
7:00am - depart Fremantle
7:30am – arrive Rottnest Island. Collect golf equipment off the ferry
7:45am – walk through the main settlement and visit The Rottnest Island Bakery to grab some breakfast and a coffee and then call into the Rottnest Island General Store to stock up on any supplies you may need for the day.
8:15am – Arrive Rottnest Island Golf Club and begin some of the warmup games and raffles. (Putting comps, chipping comps, pitching comp). We are extremely blessed with some very generous sponsors. Participants and spectators are encouraged to bring some extra cash to pay for these competitions/raffles with all proceeds going towards to Cancer Council WA.
9:45am – Introductions and short speeches from Cancer Council WA 10:00am - Shot gun start
11:30am – Sausage sizzle available on course
3:00pm - Presentations commence
6:00pm – Depart Rottnest Island
There will be 2 levels of competitions for the day.
1) A stableford event for all players with an official GA handicap.
2) A stableford event for all players without an official GA handicap.
- These players will be given a handicap of 18 for the day.
- For those that are unaware of how stableford works for an 18 handicapper, here is the
Birdie = 4 points // Par = 3 points // Bogey = 2 points // Double bogey = 1 point
More than double bogey – pick up and move onto the next hole.
There will be 5 novelty prizes for the day.
#2 - Longest Drive // #4 – Straightest Drive // #6 – Nearest the Pin // #7 – Longest Putt // #9 - Nearest the Pin
The Longest Day Rules
1) No Provisionals
- If you hit the ball into a hazard, 1 stroke penalty and drop at point of entry.
- If you hit the ball into the bush and cannot see it at first glance, 2 stroke penalty and
drop on the fairway near where you are looking.
2) Gimmes are permitted. These are less than the rubber handle length of a normal putter.
3) Speed of play is crucial. Do whatever it takes to keep the game moving, if you are safe.
We have been inundated with sponsors and I feel extremely grateful for generosity of all the businesses who have come on board. Please do what you can to support these businesses and spread the word about ‘The Longest Day on Rotto’. I am hopeful that this event goes from strength to strength each year.
If you need any further clarity around this event, please call or text me.